Chettinad fish curry is mostly prepared with Vanjaram Fish
Vanjaram Fish – 500 gms
Shallots / Small onions – 100 gms
Garlic cloves small variety – 100 gms
Tomato ( soar or country variety) – 250 gms
Tamarind – gooseberry sized
Chilli powder – 3 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Gingelly oil – 4 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Curry leaves and coriander leaves to garnish
1. Clean fish and set aside
2. Chop onion, garlic, tomatoes and set aside
3. Soak tamarind in 2 cups water and extract the pulp
4. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds and allow to crackle.
5. Add onion, garlic, tomatoes and saute for few mins.
6. Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, required salt to the pan, saute for few more mins and add tamarind water
7. Bring the curry to boil, when curry starts boiling add the cleaned fish.
8. Let the fish curry boil for 2 mins, next reduce the heat and cook the fish curry on low heat for 15 mins.
9. Stir gently the curry occasionaly so it doesnt burn in the bottom of the pan.
10. Finally garnish curry with curry leaves and corinader leaves and serve hot.
1. Always make a big batch of fish curry, the fish curry tastes much better on the next day as the tanginess and spiciness soaks well into the fish.
2. Fish head is best for making fish curry.
3. Fish curry not only goes well with steamed rice, it also tastes great with idli and dosa.